Task Force on Community-Responsive Public Safety
The Task Force on Community-Responsive Public Safety was created in summer 2020 by Chancellor Girod to review KU Public Safety policies and procedures; examine best practices and proposals for change; and make recommendations to ensure respectful, transparent and community-responsive public safety services. The task force comprised students, faculty and staff and was chaired by Distinguished Professor Charles Epp.
In October 2020, the task force published a preliminary report and recommendations and invited the KU community to provide feedback.
On Nov. 10, the task force shared its final report and recommendations with Chancellor Girod for review.
On May 24, 2021, Chancellor Girod announced that the university would be implementing all of the task force's recommendations and provided a point-by-point summary addressing each recommendation.
The Chancellor has committed to regularly reviewing progress on the implementation of task force recommendations and providing updates to the community as needed. That group will comprise the university’s chief of police, vice provost for student affairs, vice provost for operations, associate vice chancellor for public affairs, chancellor’s chief of staff, and chair of the task force.
Task Force Members
- Alex Villagran, Graduate Student, School of Public Affairs
- Aramis Watson, Associate Director, KU Student Housing
- Azja Butler, Undergraduate Student
- Bulaong Malika Ramiz, Director, Emily Taylor Center for Women and Gender Equity
- Caleb Bobo, KU Alumnus
- Chris Keary, Chief of KU Public Safety
- D.A. Graham, University Ombuds
- Dan Beckler, Associate Athletics Director, Kansas Athletics
- Darin Beck, Director of the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center
- David McCormack, Undergraduate Student Representative
- Deborah Dandridge, Kansas Collection Librarian, KU Libraries
- Emilio Santana, Undergraduate Student Representative
- Hollie Hall, Graduate Student Body Vice President
- Inoru Wade, Doctoral Student
- Jason Matejkowski, Associate Professor and Associate Dean for Academic Programs, School of Social Welfare
- Jennifer Ng, Interim Vice Provost for Diversity and Equity
- Kim Warren, Associate Professor, College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Department of History
- Lua Yuille, Professor, School of Law and Faculty Senate President
- Neill Kennedy, PhD Student, American Studies and Graduate Teaching Assistants Coalition President
- Precious Porras, Assistant Vice Provost for Diversity and Equity and Director of the Office for Multicultural Affairs
- Robert Waller, KU Budget Office, Staff Senate Representative
- Sanjay Mishra, Professor, School of Business and University Senate President
- Sarah Deer, Professor, School of Public Affairs and Administration and College of Liberal Arts and Sciences- Department of Women, Gender & Sexuality Studies
- Shawn Alexander, Chair and Professor, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Department of African and African American Studies
- Stephonn Alcorn, Alumnus
- Tammara Durham, Vice Provost for Student Affairs